Suffering from Dry Eye in Somerset?
Dry, itchy, red, and irritated eyes are one of the most frustrating health conditions to deal with, and can drastically impact your ability to function and focus during your day-to-day-activities. Our team at Franklin Family Eye Care helps many people living with chronic dry eye find the relief they need.
What Are The Symptoms of Dry Eye?
Symptoms of dry eye may vary depending on the cause and severity, but may include:
- Eye itchiness, redness, burning, and swelling
- The feeling of a foreign object in your eye
- Watery or stringy mucus around your eye (which may form a dry crust overnight)
- Increased sensitivity to light and/or impaired night-time vision
- Blurry vision
- Eye fatigue
What Causes Dry Eye?
The list of potential underlying factors is extensive, but the ultimate cause of dry eye is inadequate tear production. Tears are necessary to keep your eyes moist and hydrated. Factors which may disrupt your body's ability to produce tears include:
- Other medical conditions, especially diabetes
- Certain medications
- Damage to tear ducts and/or glands (e.g., from injury, inflammation, or radiation)
- Environmental factors including smoke, air conditioning, and weather changes
What Can Be Done About My Dry Eyes?
If you believe you're struggling with dry eye, it's important to visit with an eye doctor for a thorough evaluation and ensure proper treatment. Depending on the cause and severity of your dry eyes, your optometrist may prescribe you medicated eye drops, oral medications, specialized contact lenses, or even eye massage. Your eye doctor can also educate you on proper hygiene and lifestyle tips to reduce your symptoms.
Are You Suffering From Dry Eye? Contact Our Somerset Optometrist Today
Dr. Ngong-Tawe and her team believe optimal vision requires the right combination of a healthy lifestyle and comprehensive eye care that not only treats dysfunction, but can also help prevent it. If you live in Somerset, Franklin Township, Hillsborough Township, Piscataway Township, New Brunswick, Bound Brook, Somerville, Bridgewater Township, or Manville, NJ and are looking for an eye doctor to help you find relief from your dry eye, call us today at 732-412-7328.