Conditions Treated by Our Somerset Optometrist
Your eyes are marvelously capable, but they're also delicate organs that can easily suffer damage due to injury or disease. That's why it's critically important to schedule regular eye exams so any potential dangers can be detected and addressed. But even if you find out that you do indeed have an eye disease or disorder, don't fret. Our Somerset optometrist at Franklin Family Eye Care, Dr. Josephine Ngong-Tawe, has many years of experience in dealing with eye conditions, and she'll be more than happy to apply that skill and expertise by recommending and administering the appropriate treatment measures to help you protect your eyesight and ocular health.
At Franklin Family Eye Care, we can provide diagnosis, treatment, and management for many different eye disease. Some of the most common conditions diagnosed or treated by our Somerset optometrist include:
- Dry Eye - Dry eye treatment is necessary for eyes that don't produce tears properly. Underlying health issues, tear gland problems, use of certain medications, work habits and exposure to dry air can all contribute this condition, causing irritated, itchy eyes and possible corneal ulceration. Dry eye treatment may include eye drops, lifestyle change, medication adjustments or treatment of underlying medical causes.
- Computer Vision - Computer vision can also cause dry, irritated eyes. This problem is specifically caused by extensive exposure to computer and smartphone screens, which discourages the eyes from blinking normally. Constant exposure to blue light from LED screens can also produce strain and fatigue. We can treat computer vision syndrome by discussing your screen-viewing habits and supplying you with tinted lenses.
- Glaucoma - Glaucoma causes progressive, irreversible destruction of the optic nerves, leading to permanent vision loss. It's associated with high fluid pressure within the eye due to poor drainage. Our Somerset optometrist can prescribe eye drops or oral medications to help normalize the fluid pressure.
- Cataracts - Cataracts are a gradual clouding of the lens of the eye that commonly occurs later in life. We can monitor your cataracts' progression carefully, compensating for vision problems with corrective lenses. If you eventually need cataract removal surgery, our Somerset optometrist can co-manage the recovery process.
- Diabetic Retinopathy - Diabetes can damage the small blood vessels of the retina, causing them to bleed into the eye and impair your vision. Medication and laser surgery can help stop the damage, but getting your diabetes under control is even more critical.
- Macular Degeneration - Macular degeneration is an age-related condition that damages part of the retina called the macula, robbing you of central vision. Injectable medications can slow its progress dramatically.
- Conjunctivitis - Conjunctivitis ("pinkeye") may be caused by allergies or infections. Our eye doctor can diagnose the cause of your conjunctivitis and prescribe the necessary treatment.
Contact Your Somerset Optometrist Today!
We're proud to offer diagnosis and treatment services for Somerset, Bridgewater Township, Franklin Township and Manville, NJ. But the first step is to schedule those regular eye exams so our optometrist can catch and correct the conditions. Call (732) 412-7328 today for an appointment!